Thursday, February 14, 2008

valentine's day and other exciting stuff

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Thank you to my sweet husband for these beautiful flowers and the half dozen treats from Au Peche Mignon :)



I've been quite busy lately reading up on all of the places and things to do in New York City. Chip and I will be going in April with Ben and Bethany. I'm really excited to go and also to see the sites with such great friends. I think that will make the trip even more fun. We've already bought our planes tickets and reserved our hotel. Now I'm working on our itinerary. We plan on going to the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Plaza, Times Square, take in a Broadway show, see the Statue of Liberty, and even stand in the crowd during the taping of the Today Show. We are also going to try to get tickets to Conan or Letterman. If any of you reading this have ever been and have any suggestions of places to go or things to eat let me know.

Last night I went to a class at the college I work at about European travel. The teacher is the travel writer from the local newspaper and an avid european traveler. I am currently trying to persuade Chip to go to Paris and maybe London this fall. We'll see. Neither one of us have been overseas before and he is leary about going somewhere by ourselves where they don't speak english. I think we'd be ok. This class has already taught me quite a bit about how to plan and pack for such a trip. By the end of the class I should be ready to go. I can't wait! I have always wanted to go to Europe, especially Paris - as I'm sure more of you know :)

Recently I found out that I won an Gold Addy! Addys are awards for creativity in advertising. These were the local Addy's for the Emerald Coast region. From here the winning pieces go on to the district competition and then nationals. Addys are well-recognized awards in the advertising industry.The college/performing arts center I work for entered 9 different projects we did this year and 8 won awards! The one I am most proud of is the Art Center's season brochure. It is the only one of our pieces that won the gold, the rest won silver - which is great too. The season brochure was my project. I designed the front cover and worked with our graphic designer on the layout/design of the rest of the brochure. I'm very proud to have our marketing department win these awards.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I'll write more later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the Addy wins! I'm sure that looks great on a resume and must make you feel very proud. Is there any way you can post the season brochure on your website? I'm sure we'd all love to see it!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

DUDE! That rocks about the Addy stuff!! AWESOME!!! Yeah I'm with Bethany! I want to see the brochure!!
Those flowers are cool too! Good job Chip!

CG said...

hey! how exciting yall are off to NYC! Well, I don't know if I mentioned this... but I lived there for a year after college. So here are my tips:
1. go to "chocolate by the bald man". It's a chocolate restaraunt near union square. It is 100% amazing. Breakfast there is my favorite thing EVER!
2. plan to spend more than 1 hr in central park. It's beautiful and huge. Go to bethesda terrace and people watch there. It's my favorite place in the city.
3. My second favorite place is city hall park (next to city hall) go at night time. It's beautiful and romantic with a big fountain and gas-lit lamp posts.
4. A lot of times you can get really cheap broadway tickets through ticket lotteries and rush tickets from each individual theatre. you have to be a bit flexible, but i've never paid more that $25 for a show that way! Just go up to the box office and ask.
5. make sure to shop from street vendors. they have the best shoes, accesories, knock-off sunglasses, breakfast etc.
6. hit up "230 Fifth" for some nightlife. It is GORGEOUS and chic rooftop lounge with incredible views of midtown. the name is the address (230 5th avenue) it's in the top of a big office building.

Anyways, I could go on! I'm sure yall will have a great time. NYC in the spring is soooo awesome. And def. go to europe. do your homework and try to go with/learn the culture, but you'll be totally fine! Woo hoo for travelling!!! HAVE FUN!

Leigh Ann said...

So many fun things going on! You should tell Chip that I am pretty sure they speak enough English in Paris for you to survive.

You are going to love New York -its your kinda town. I have been a few times and loved all of it.