Tuesday, March 3, 2009

doing my civic duty/the bachelor sucks (yes, i watch it)

A few weeks ago I got the dreaded summons for jury duty in the mail. I had to call Sunday afternoon to see if they needed me to come in or not - most of the cases plea out before they go to trial so they don't need the jury. They did release the jurors - numbers 220-500...my number was 123. So I would be heading down to the courthouse the following day.

I have only been summoned one other time, while I was in college. Since I wasn't in the county I was excused. This time I wasn't so lucky.

I got down to the courthouse at a little after 8 am and went through security and was taken to the Juror Waiting Room. There were about 200 chairs in there. Eventually the room filled and the Clerk of Courts came in and swore us all in. He said that there were 4 cases on the docket that day and that a computer would randomly select the names of the potential jury pool. If selected, you went on to be questioned by the attorneys who would decide if they wanted you or not. Then we watched a 15 minute video about what you do as a juror and the different types of cases you would hear.

After the video they called the first group - my name wasn't called. About an hour later they called 2 more groups and again my name wasn't called. Another hour passed, and they called the final group...again my name wasn't selected. They held the remaining 30+ of us who hadn't been called for other cases to wait until the first group came back. If the attorneys had rejected them all they would need us. Of course, they didn't and I was eventually sent on my way.

I was a little disappointed. I was kind of hoping I'd get picked. I've never been on a jury before or in court and thought it might be a neat experience. Instead I got to miss 3.5 hours of work and sit in a room watching Fox News. Oh well, at least it made the rest of my day go by fast!

Changing subjects, I watched the finale of The Bachelor last night. Yes, I watch that show. Every time it comes on I say I'm not going to watch it and then due to a lack of other interesting programming being on I get sucked in. This season was much like other seasons. A previous bachelor reject gets the tables turned and now gets to be the one doing the picking and since they know what it's like being dumped on national TV, they won't be anything like that. WRONG. Jason, the bachelor, is just like every other moron who goes on that show hoping for true love...in a completely unrealistic, highly-staged-for-ratings ploy by ABC. Needless to say, this bachelor sank to a new low by proposing to one girl, dumping her on the After the Final Rose show following the finale, and then proceeding to hook-up with the girl he didn't propose to some 30 minutes later. It was awful. Judging by the backlash I've read about online today, most others agree.

While I type this entry, I just saw on the news that yet another person Obama has picked for his cabinet has "accidentally" forgotten to pay a portion of their taxes. Seriously?! Several of his appointees have had this same "unfortunate lapse of memory". What is wrong with people!? Can anyone be honest anymore? Everyday I watch the news and see billions more of money we don't have being spent on some ailing bank or company and then I hear about the president's budget that apparently contains "earmarks" that he swore once he got into office that he'd eliminate. Like the high speed railway from CA to Las Vegas and something about tatoo parlors. Give me a break! Can someone with some integrity, a backbone, and some decent ideas please step forward and run our country! So much for change! We need it. We're not getting it.

Anyways, off my soapbox I step. I didn't intend to rant, but I couldn't help my self. I'm sure some people may disagree with me. That's ok. You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.

Well, off I go to make dinner. I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. Sometimes I feel like I have nothing interesting to talk about. Hah!

4 comments:

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha! You crack me up!! So about a million people have written something on their facebook status about the Bachelor! We don't get it here, so I had no idea what was going on - thanks for the America update :) haha! I was curious what the uproar was all about!!!

I've been called for Jury duty 3 times but only had to go once (living overseas is a good excuse apparently:)) I was put on a jury but rejected! ouch! It was about a burglary that happened at the Tallahassee Mall and I was actually at the mall when it happened... I think they thought I was going to be partial :)

charleysmom said...

Where's the pictures of Frank????
Sorry to hear about the jury duty.
I think I'm going to have a "I'm way too young" senior moment and forget to pay something too! I'll call you from the slammer...
Love,
Your Mother
PS- don't get offended by the adorable picture you are about to see!

CG said...

Yay! Glad to hear from you. AND:

1. I want to be a juror, too.

2. Jason is a loser and I was mad at the finale. Far as I'm concerned, the real winner is Jillian who narrowly escaped his ridiculous and obvious commitment issues.

3. I agree 100% about the tax/gov/politics rant. Last year I made 27K, but somehow I still owe $500. But don't worry, my hard-earned tax dollars will go to pay the salary of some idiot now in a cabinet position who doesn't think tax laws apply to him. Awesome.

Bethany said...

Did you post and unpost? What happened to the facial post... I don't see it anymore.

Anyway can't wait to have you here next week! Looking forward to lots of girl-chat and maybe we'll do something fun besides talking too. That's all. Just wanted to express my excitement!