Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 - a year of change

Here I sit on this New Year's Eve thinking about all the things that happened in 2009. I remember Chip and I driving home from my parent's house in Kansas City last January and talking about what we thought and wanted to happen in 2009.

To borrow a much overused phrase from our then president-elect, I wanted 2009 to be a year of "change". I had a few specifics in mind when I made this statement - some happened, some didn't. Some were good, some were not so good, some where expected, some not-so-much...overall I'm grateful for what this year brought and what lies ahead in 2010. Here are a few of the highlights...

A change in church
2009 started off with Chip and I feeling led to look for a new church. After five + years at our previous church, we felt that we were looking for something that would give us more of an opportunity to feel more involved and invested in not only the church and its members, but the community as well. We visited over 5 churches in the local area, but didn't feel like any of them were for us. It was getting to be depressing. I happened to be reading the newspaper at work one Monday and came across an article about a program called Kidstuff being put on by a church called Beachside Community Church. Why I read that article I have no idea, we didn't have any kids. Anyways, that article led me to do some research into that church. I liked what I read, so I mentioned it to Chip.

Chip did some research into the church as well and was interested in meeting with the pastor. We met up with Shaun, the church's pastor, at the Dairy Queen in Niceville. Chip came prepared with a typed up list of questions to ask him (what can I say, I am married to an engineer!) and Shaun answered everyone of them. We felt good about this new church and the goals and direction they were headed in, but it still took us a few more months to commit. The church didn't start having Sunday services until the end of August (which was 5 months away at the time), so it was hard to commit to something we couldn't "see" in action for a few months.

In the end, we did start serving in and attending the church and have really enjoyed all the new people and friends we have made, getting to be a part of starting up a new church (and all the hard work that it entails), and feeling like we are where we are supposed to be now.

A change in travel (a dream realized)
2009 also brought us many new and exciting travel adventures. Our first trip was to Albuquerque, NM in March. Chip had a conference out there so I decided to join him and explore the Southwest. Highlights included a hot air balloon ride, a side-trip to Santa Fe, and a death-defying tram trip up to Sandia Mountain.

Two days before I joined Chip in ABQ, he called to say we were a go to be on the Rick Steve's London & Paris trip May 24 - June 1. I cried when he told me that! I have dreamt of going to Paris for as long as I can remember - and now I was getting to go!!! I've blogged about this trip before, so I'll spare a regurgitation, but this trip was amazing and one I will never forget. All of the fabulous history, artwork, landmarks, and pastries and I saw and ate will linger with me for the rest of my life. I can't wait to go on another international trip - hopefully to Italy in 2011 ;)

2009 also took me to Austin, TX to visit my good friend Bethany. I had a wonderful time visiting her, her husband Ben, and their daughter Violet and thoroughly enjoyed Bethany and my "girls day out" which included hiking, pedicures, creme brulee french toast & frozen peach Bellini's, and a movie. Also worth mentioning was our lunch earlier in the week at Flip Happy Crepes - it was delicious and still fresh in my mind :)

I also went to Kansas City in August to visit my family and to belatedly celebrate my dad's 60th birthday. I got to give them both a fun surprise - the news they were going to be grandparents - disguised as a birthday gift. I'll always remember the look of shock, surprise, and then excitement on their faces once they realized what they were looking at (a framed ultrasound picture). I'll also remember my sister's reaction - priceless :)

A change in family
2009 also brought us the exciting news that our family would be growing by one, though not until March 4, 2010. We found out I was pregnant in late June. I was happy, but still in shock. Don't get me wrong, this was planned - as much as you can I suppose, but still it was a surprise when you realize that it is actually going to happen.

To make things even more fun, I found out Bethany was pregnant too when she called me to wish me a happy birthday...yay!! It has been fun to go through this with her and get to call or email her and talk about all the strange and new things we're going through. Then a few months later our other friends Austin and Ashley called to say they were pregnant, too. A baby explosion! It is fun to all go through this together.

When I was 12 weeks along we found out we were having a girl. We have a name, but have chosen not to reveal it until she is born. Not so much so we can pull a "I know something you don't know" type thing, we just want to make sure we are set on this name before people start calling her this and also because we don't want to know people's opinions of the name. We know someone will always not like it. Too bad, go have a child of your own and name it whatever you want :)

We are just 9 weeks away, give or take, from our little girl coming into this world. We're eager to meet her and begin this new phase of our lives. Her room is just about ready for her - whether Chip and I are is yet to be seen :)

So, what statement will I make about 2010 and my hopes for it...I don't really know. 2009 did bring some change with it, which I tend to enjoy and sometimes welcome. I'm not one for "routine". I welcome whatever 2010 brings as a chance to learn and grown, to have fun and make new memories. Life isn't always easy, nor the things that happen always enjoyable or predictable. But one thing I have learned this year is that those struggles and challenges remind me we aren't in control and can't control things. These things do, however, serve to make us stronger, develop our character, and teach us to be grateful for the blessings we do have instead of focusing on what we don't have.

As a close to this long-winded post, here is one of my favorite videos (and memories) from our trip to Paris. It is Chip and me eating some ice cream on a bridge in the Île de la Cité listening to an accordion player playing "Que Cera Cera".

Happy New Year to you all!


5 comments:

Holly Bernardo said...

So happy for you guys! I am glad you linked your blog to facebook! It was great to read about your year!! I can not wait to see pictures of your baby girl!!! Holly

Emma said...

Favorite blog post ever! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see this update and hear you are doing well. Hope to see more posts as your pregnancy progress and baby flater joins our world!

bcsbethany said...

May 2010 be even better for you! Love the post and happy to share a great year with you.

Brett Barker said...

Just found your blog because someone clicked on your link to the Beachside website. Good post. I wish I was disciplined enough to write regularly. Oh well. See ya later.